Friday, June 15, 2007

Rossum's Rooms pt. 2

Oh, I'm working, alright, making little doll-house rooms and furniture for my stick figures. Soon... they will dance!

Say, we all know steampunk, right? And then there's clockpunk, for those who think the Victorian Era is too durned new-fangled. But what do you call retro science fiction that has more of a Twenties/Thirties vibe? Jazzpunk? Ragpunk? FutureModerne? Space Deco? There must be a term for this already, right?


chrishaley said...

I call it awesome.

the lw said...


michelle said...

This stuff is looking really cool, I can't wait to see what it turns into

Shobo said...

I would like to take this opportunity to echo Michelle's sentiments and cast a vote for "Space Deco".

Pulpatooner said...

Thanks, y'all.

"Propellerpunk" is pretty good, although perhaps not quite precise enough. Also, as the Lovely Wife, herself, uncovered, it has been used before, as a synonym for "Dieselpunk," which is rather grittier than what I'm thinking of.

"Space Deco" seems to pretty accurately describe the stuff I have in mind: The original Buck Rogers, Wells' Things to Come, Sky Captain, and the early SciFi pulps. But does it have the right poetry? "Star Deco" shares more letters with Art Deco, but seems too cosmic. "Science Deco?" That makes a nice bookend with Art Deco. "Sci Deco?" "Decopunk?"

But, seriously, is it really in our hands to coin this term? I just can't believe the Geek Lexicon hasn't filled this gap already.

Anonymous said...

I believe I've heard it referred to as "dieselpunk" before.